Alabama prisons have the highest homicide rate in the country, a rate 8 times the national average. So many prisoners are assaulted, stabbed, and killed that the Department of Corrections cannot keep track of the deaths.
A report summary from Alabama Appleseed
The State of Alabama has, for decades, demonstrated an inability to fund and operate safe, humane prisons in compliance with the U.S. Constitution. In April, for the first time in the 39-year history of the Civil Rights of Institutionalized Persons Act (“CRIPA”), the U.S. Department of Justice found an entire state prison system for men operating in violation of the U.S. Constitution here in Alabama.
The nationally publicized DOJ report found “[t]he combination of ADOC’s overcrowding and understaffing results in prisons that are inadequately supervised, with inappropriate and unsafe housing designations, creating an environment rife with violence, extortion, drugs, and weapons.” Just this year, nine people have been murdered in our prisons.
Alabama Appleseed produced a summary of the report available here. Appleseed is committed to making sure the federal findings are not quickly forgotten. And we are committed to remembering the lives lost and the families harmed by our shameful, unconstitutional prisons as fellow Alabamians who deserved better.
- 2021 Legislative Recap May 18, 2021
- Welcome Megan Cheek! Appleseed’s New Communications and Development Associate Brings Years of Nonprofit Experience to Her Role March 30, 2021
- Quan Holt’s Good Samaritan actions cost him his left leg, his mobility, and his health. Alabama’s civil forfeiture laws cost him nearly everything else. February 21, 2021
- Appleseed’s Legislative Priorities 2021 February 1, 2021
- “I’m experiencing a rebirth, a second chance at life, and every day has been a blessing.” January 25, 2021
Alabama Appleseed Center for Law & Justice
400 South Union Street, Suite 245
Montgomery, Alabama 36104
Phone: (334) 416-8401
2130 Highland Avenue South, Suite 202
Birmingham, AL 35205
Phone: (205) 305-0735