My name is Akiesha Anderson and I am thrilled to join Appleseed! As Policy Director, my role will primarily focus on policy development, legislative advocacy, coalition building, engaging with public officials and assisting with legal projects. As a Montgomery-native, I grew up very aware of the existence of both past and present social inequality and […]
The following report is part of Appleseed’s collaboration with the Aspen Institute’s Financial Security Program and also appears on the Aspen Institute blog. For many individuals and households, a $200 traffic ticket can devastate savings and finances. The Federal Reserve’s Report on the Economic Well-Being of U.S. Households finds that 40% of Americans wouldn’t be able to pull […]
On Dec. 4, 2019, the Governor’s Study Group on Criminal Justice Reform convened at the Alabama Statehouse to hear proposals from the public on how to address Alabama’s prison crisis. Appleseed Research Director Leah Nelson was among the 20 presenters, including families of the incarcerated, formerly incarcerated, advocates, academics, lawyers, direct service providers, and faith […]
Sign up for our Action Alerts!
These emailed Action Alerts will keep you up-do-date on pending legislation or state actions, and provide ways that you can get involved.
- Introducing Akiesha Anderson, Appleseed’s new policy director February 1, 2020
- Fines, Fees, and Financial Security in the US South January 15, 2020
- In Alabama, prison diversion programs are funded by participants. And those payments are made at a terrible cost. December 5, 2019
- Thank you, Appleseed Supporters, for Fighting for a Better Alabama in 2019 November 30, 2019
- Alvin Kennard is home. Let’s create a path for others to follow. August 30, 2019