By Carla Crowder, Appleseed Executive Director Birmingham, Ala. — A little more justice slowly made its way into Alabama this week. Roberto Cruz, a 71-year-old man who had been sentenced to die in prison for a case involving marijuana – that’s right, only marijuana – was resentenced to time served and will soon be released […]
By Akiesha Anderson, Appleseed Policy Director On March 30th, Alabama Appleseed sent a letter to Dr. Scott Harris—Director of the Alabama Department of Public Health (ADPH), and Brian Hastings—Director of the Alabama Department of Emergency Management (ADEM), urging their agencies to share with Appleseed and the general public their plans to ensure that COVID-19 testing […]
By Leah Nelson, Appleseed Research Director MONTGOMERY, Ala. — When police pulled Reunca Lewis over near downtown Montgomery on April 17, the 23-year-old Montgomery resident was baffled. Lewis’s car had been stolen and then involved in a hit-and-run, and she had spent most of the day with police downtown, dealing with the aftermath. Now, the […]
Sign up for our Action Alerts!
These emailed Action Alerts will keep you up-do-date on pending legislation or state actions, and provide ways that you can get involved.
- A 71-year old man finally walks free, after marijuana sent him away May 8, 2020
- Black Belt COVID-19 testing improves, but there is much more to do May 4, 2020
- “People are dying. They had us in there for tickets.” April 28, 2020
- Introducing Akiesha Anderson, Appleseed’s new policy director February 1, 2020
- Fines, Fees, and Financial Security in the US South January 15, 2020