By Leah Nelson Leah.Nelson@alabamaappleseed.org ELMORE, ALA. (Nov. 9, 2020) – Sean Worsley finally walked through the gates of Staton Correctional Facility this morning and into the arms of his wife Eboni. It was a moment nearly 11 months in the making. Worsley is a disabled Black veteran who was awarded a Purple Heart in connection […]
By Renuka Srivastava Shortly after the COVID-19 pandemic’s lockdown was enforced, more rent strikes occurred in this country than ever before. Families are forced to choose between food on their tables or a roof over their heads. This difficult decision is mainly due to reduced hours or unemployment. I first noticed the direct impact of […]
By Leah Nelson firstname.lastname@example.org In August 2016, a disabled Black veteran named Sean Worsley brought his legally prescribed medical marijuana with him on a road trip from Arizona to North Carolina. On his way through Alabama, Worsley, who earned a Purple Heart in connection with injuries sustained during his 15 months disabling bombs and retrieving […]
Sign up for our Action Alerts!
These emailed Action Alerts will keep you up-do-date on pending legislation or state actions, and provide ways that you can get involved.
- This Veteran’s Day, Sean Worsley is finally home with his wife. May Alabama learn from the mistake of imprisoning this decorated Iraq War hero in the name of “law and order.” November 9, 2020
- COVID-19 Sheds Light on the South’s Broken Housing System as Stimulus Checks Fund Motel Stays October 10, 2020
- Human Rights Groups, Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans, an Alabama Democratic Lawmaker, a GOP Operative, Corrections Professionals, a Retired Federal Magistrate Judge, and Cannabis Advocates Came Together to Stop a Disabled Black Veteran from Going to Prison. This is the Story of How We Failed. September 4, 2020
- Black Girls Are More Harshly Punished within Alabama’s K-12 Public Schools September 2, 2020
- A New Job. A Christmas Party. His First-Ever Week of Paid Leave. Alvin Kennard, Once Sentenced to Die in Prison, Marks His First Year of Freedom. August 23, 2020