Alabama Appleseed is a non-profit, non-partisan 501(c)(3) organization founded in 1999 whose mission is to work for systemic policy reforms that achieve justice and fairness for low-income and other vulnerable populations. Alabama Appleseed is a member of the national Appleseed Network, which includes 17 Appleseed Centers across the U.S. and in Mexico City.
Position Summary: Alabama Appleseed seeks an experienced, highly motivated, and energetic social justice lawyer to advance its agenda. The Legal Director is primarily responsible for managing Appleseed’s state legislative and executive branch advocacy and select integrated advocacy campaigns, but will also engage with local governmental bodies and administrative agencies and collaborate with staff on other initiatives. The Legal Director reports to the Executive Director. The position is based in Appleseed’s Montgomery office.
- Persuasively represent Alabama Appleseed before state and local government bodies and other stakeholders.
- Draft, track, review, and analyze legislative proposals, create strategies and messaging to advance priority issues and identify opportunities for bipartisan support on Alabama Appleseed issues, research and draft amendments, and provide oral and/or written testimony.
- Build trusted relationships with lawmakers, agency decision-makers, staff, lobbyists, and other stakeholders.
- Coordinate and collaborate with staff to develop, implement, and manage integrated advocacy campaigns involving a combination of policy, legal, communication, public education, and organizing tactics.
- Develop strategies and work in partnership with allied organizations and individuals, including building diverse coalitions with local, state, and national level advocates.
- Respond to media requests on policy issues and represent Alabama Appleseed at events, forums, and meetings.
- Prepare written materials including talking points, issue briefs and reports, grant applications and reports, op-eds, blog posts, board reports, and social media content.
- Follow relevant state and national legal developments and research opportunities for Alabama Appleseed to participate as amicus curiae.
- Work collaboratively with the national Appleseed Network and other Appleseed Centers to advance regional or nationwide campaigns.
- Undertake and complete other projects and tasks as assigned by the Executive Director.
- Demonstrated commitment to Alabama Appleseed’s mission.
- J.D. degree, bar member (any jurisdiction), and three to five years of local, state, and/or national-level legal, legislative, or issue campaign experience, preferably in Alabama.
- Demonstrated leadership skills.
- Excellent and demonstrated written and oral communications skills and the ability to articulate legal concepts and complex public policy issues effectively to a variety of audiences.
- Demonstrated experience building and implementing legislative or issue campaigns.
- Demonstrated ability to build and sustain relationships with advocates and communities from across the ideological spectrum.
- A personal approach that values and respects differences of race, ethnicity, age, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, ability, and socio-economic circumstances, and a proven commitment to working as a team member.
- Excellent initiative, vision, and ability to develop and implement short and long-term campaign strategies utilizing a broad range of tactics.
- Willingness to work long hours and travel to meetings and events throughout and outside the state, as needed.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
This full-time position offers a competitive non-profit salary and benefits package.
Send a cover letter, resume, writing sample (limit 5 pages), and three references to Alabama Appleseed’s Executive Director, Frank Knaack, at email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and accepted until the position is filled.