About Alabama Appleseed: Alabama Appleseed is a non-profit, non-partisan 501(c)(3) organization founded in 1999 whose mission is to achieve justice and equity for all Alabamians. Alabama Appleseed conducts integrated culture and policy change campaigns to confront laws and policies that harm the poor and to remedy the root causes of poverty and injustice. Its campaigns use policy analysis, research and documentation, legislative action, public education, community organizing, pro bono engagement, coalition building, and litigation. Alabama Appleseed is a vibrant, growing organization that prides itself on creating strategic, evidence-based solutions to some of the most pressing problems in Alabama, and allowing the ingenuity of our staff to lead the way.
Alabama Appleseed is a member of the national Appleseed Network, which includes 17 Appleseed centers across the U.S. and in Mexico City.
Position Summary: Alabama Appleseed seeks a Policy Director to develop and implement campaign goals; build and maintain relationships with state legislators, administration officials, and other key elected officials; draft, monitor, and develop support for state legislation; and work closely with allies and coalition partners around shared initiatives. The Policy Director will promote Appleseed’s research and reports among decision makers and serve as Appleseed’s primary strategist and contact with the Alabama Legislature. The Policy Director will have a strong voice in developing organizational campaigns and tools and must have a clear understanding of the opportunities and challenges of social justice and civil rights advocacy in Alabama. The Policy Director reports to the Executive Director, and works closely with Appleseed’s Research Director and Organizer. This is a full time position based in Appleseed’s Montgomery office, and will require some statewide travel.
- Develop deep understanding of Appleseed’s research and policy goals and communicate Appleseed’s work persuasively to a variety of audiences;
- Represent Appleseed at the Alabama Legislature. Work with lawmakers to draft and pass legislation supporting Appleseed’s policy goals. Attend legislative committee meetings, monitor the progress of legislation, develop speakers to support legislation, and effectively communicate legislative developments with community members, coalition partners, and other allies;
- Develop relationships with elected officials, both at the state and local level;
- Conduct district visits with key legislators during the legislature’s off season;
- Work with Executive Director to build and grow diverse coalitions of other statewide and national organizations to support shared goals;
- Speak publicly on behalf of Alabama Appleseed at community meetings, coalition events, lobby days, and media events;
- Cultivate bi-partisan allies and partners in multiple sectors including state and local government, direct service, the legal community, faith groups, advocacy nonprofits, and national groups to promote Appleseed’s legislative and policy goals;
- Work within the Appleseed network by attending network convenings and contributing to shared projects;
- Contribute to other organizational needs as might arise in a small nonprofit, particularly related to organization-wide projects such as the Brewer-Torbert event, report distributions, and communications.
- Demonstrated commitment to Alabama Appleseed’s mission, vision, and approach to advocacy;
- Two or more years of experience highly preferred, especially around legislative and policy advocacy campaigns or governmental affairs;
- Bachelor’s degree preferred;
- J.D. or other advanced degree helpful but not required if suitable candidate has demonstrated, relevant work experience;
- Strong initiative and ability to manage and complete projects with minimal supervision;
- Valid automobile driver’s license – this position will involve extensive travel throughout Alabama;
- Ability to get along and work collaboratively with diverse personalities;
- Ability to multi-task effectively and occasionally embrace administrative duties;
- Willingness to work long hours, including weekends, especially during the legislative session;
- Willingness to travel throughout the state, as needed, when the legislature is not in session;
- Strong research and writing skills; experience drafting legislation a plus;
- Skilled in Excel, Microsoft Word, Powerpoint, and googledocs.
Salary and Benefits: This position offers a competitive non-profit salary range of $45,000 to $55,000, depending on experience, along with a benefits package including health insurance, generous paid leave, and 401(k) after one year; reimbursement of travel-related expenses.
To Apply: Send a cover letter, resume, writing sample, and three references to Alabama Appleseed’s Executive Director, Carla Crowder, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and accepted until the position is filled. Please write “Policy Director” in the subject line.
The injustices that we are fighting in Alabama today are directly connected to long histories of inequality and oppression in this state. As we build our team to fight for a better Alabama, we know that people who have historically been overlooked need to lead. For this reason, we welcome and strongly encourage applications from people of color, women, people with criminal histories, people from working class backgrounds, and LGBTQ people.
Alabama Appleseed values an inclusive culture and diverse workforce. Alabama Appleseed encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, and record of arrest or conviction.